The Beacon Logo The Beacon Logo

Halifax Town Hall is a Victorian Grade II* listed building notable for its design by the Houses of Parliament architect Charles Barry. Barry was also responsible for the interior designs along with his son Edward and the sculptor John Thomas.
After Halifax became a borough in 1848 it needed an administration centre cable of dealing with the workload that came with it. In 1853 proposals were put forward for a purpose built hall and the Council, Edward Akroyd and John Crossley requested that Charles Barry judge the design entries. Barry disliked all three entries and was duly asked to submit his own design for the building. In the end Charles Barry's design was accepted and the foundation stone was laid in 1861, a year after he had died in 1860.
The town hall was completed in 1863 and was opened by HRH the Prince of Wales (later King Edward VII) on August 3rd & 4th of that year in front of an estimated 70,000 people. When the hall was open to the public on August 11th, the Mayor presented four marble busts of Queen Victoria, Prince Albert, Prince Edward and Princess Alexandra. These were put in storage during redecoration in 1954 and were only restored to public view in September 2008. The hall has a limited number of open days for public viewing and groups can visit by arrangement, please see below for details.

Opening Times:
Open days for 2013 yet to be announced
Admission:
Free
Access:
Disabled Access Halifax Town Hall
Address:
Town Hall, Crossley Street, Halifax, West Yorkshire, HX1 1UJ
Contact:
Tel: 0845 245 6000
E-mail: customer.first@calderdale.gov.uk
Website:
Calderdale Council


View Halifax Town Hall in a larger map