The Beacon Logo The Beacon Logo

Calderdale Industrial Museum originally opened in August 1985 and aimed to represent the industrial and social history of the borough. The concept for the museum was conceived much earlier than this however, and much credit must be given to John Magson who joined the museums service in 1950 and devoted 33 years to building important collections. Many of these collections were saved from the scrap heap during the post war period when many of the once prosperous industries had started to decline all along the Calder Valley. Originally a pre-industrial museum was opened in the Piece Hall but as time went by more space was needed so a decision was made in 1982 to create the Calderdale Industrial Museum which was to be housed in the recently purchased Albion Works situated adjacent to the Piece Hall. It took a team of around 200 dedicated staff 3 years to transform the building into a museum worthy of representing Calderdale's fine industrial history. When the museum opened in 1985 it was an instant hit and large numbers of visitors including many schools visited.
This success did not last however and the museum is now closed to the public for much of the year. On the days it does open it is staffed by passionate volunteers and plans are now afoot to bring about its resurgence with new displays, new facilities and also educational opportunities to ensure the regions industrial past lives on.

Opening Times:
Open Days 2013 - 10am - 3.30pm on Saturday, April 13; Sunday, May 12; Saturday, June 8; Sunday, July 14; Saturday, August 10; Saturday, September 14 and Sunday, September 15.
Admission:
Free - Donations Welcome
Access:
For detailed disabled access info, please contact Calderdale Industrial Museum Association via the e-mail below
Address:
Square Road, Halifax, West Yorkshire, HX1 1QG
Contact:
Tel: 01422 823966
E-mail: cimacomms@gmail.com
Website:
Calderdale Industrial Museum